Wednesday, December 10, 2008

IM spam is not dead yet


it doesn't happen very often. For me about once a month and mostly from the same people :( I guess some just never learn. Todays domain was just.realcoolss.com, a name that resolved to 208.116.34.163, which is an IP address in the block 208.116.0.0/18 owned by FortressITX in New Jersey and the domain name is owned by Jeff Fisher of TST Management Inc in ... Panama.
Based on my originating IP address I'm redirected a Dutch webpage for a subscription service.
No malware involved on first sight.

Spam is international, spam is global and apparently, spam is still ota lucrative. I guess we should consider spam a cloud service.

2 comments:

Arnoud&Sippie said...

Dear,

a girl friend of me has this kinda url spam virus. but how to remove it.


friendly regards
dari

Unknown said...

Arnoud&Sippie,

I'm afraid the only way your friend can solve this is by changing her IM password. Most likely she compromised her password by clicking on a link and providing her userid/password to an untrusted site which now uses it to advertise.

Good luck,
HTH